- 2 ½ lbs. stew beef
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground red pepper (less if heat is not desired)
- 2 TB canola oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 (14.5oz) can diced tomatoes with garlic and onion
- 1 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1” chunks
- ½ c. raisins
- optional: almond slivers, parsley
- Combine cumin, cinnamon and red pepper. Toss beef to coat with spices.
- Heat 1 TB oil in the bottom of a large pot. Brown ½ of the beef, remove and set aside.
- Repeat with remaining beef using remaining 1 TB of oil as needed.
- Pour off drippings and return beef to the pot and season with ½ tsp. salt.
- Stir in tomatoes, bring to a boil.
- Cover tightly, reduce heat and simmer 1 ½ hours.
- Add sweet potatoes and raisins. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer another 30-45 minutes until beef and sweet potatoes are fork tender.
- Serve over couscous, garnish with slivered almonds and parsley.