Based on various recipes on heavenlytiramisu.com and recipe on the back of the Mascarpone package.
- STRONG BLACK COFFEE or ESPRESSO, 2 1/2 cup
- EGGS, medium, 6 separated
- SUPERFINE SUGAR, 2/3 cup
- MASCARPONE CHEESE, 500 g
- BRANDY, 3 tbsp
- MARSALA, 3 tbsp
- KALHUA, or your choice of any other liqueur, 1/2 cup
- LADYFINGERS, 500 g
- COCOA POWDER, for dusting between layers
- GRATED BITTERSWEET CHOCOLATE for top layer decoration
- Brew the coffee and let it cool.
- Toast the lady fingers for 15 min at 375 F
- In a bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar until pale, light and creamy.
- Soften the mascarpone cheese in a bown and gradually stir in the egg yolk mixture along with the brandy and marsala.
- Whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff, then gently fold the beaten whites into the mascarpone mixture with a metal spoon.
- Mix the cooled coffee with the liqueur.
- Quickly dip both sides of each ladyfinger into the liquid.
- Arrange the ladyfingers in a layer at the bottom of a 2-1/2 pint dish and spoon some of the mascarpone mixture over the ladyfingers.
- Sprinkle a fine layer of cocoa powder over the top.
- Continue with alternating layers of dipped ladyfingers, mascarpone mixture, and a fine layer of cocoa powder, until all the ingredients are used up.
- Finish with a layer of mascarpone and sprinkle the top with a fine layer of cocoa powder and the grated chocolate.
- Refrigerate at least 3 to 4 hours before serving, but better overnight.