This is adopted from many different recipes, mainly the one on the cover of VANITA mascarpone cheese and SUFO’s.
- 1 package of ladyfingers (about 34)
- 2 cups of espresso coffee, cooled
- 6 eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup confectioner sugar
- 1/4 cup light Kahlua
- (a few tbsp of Kahlua if you want to make the ladyfingers funky too)
- 16 oz mascarpone
- unsweetened cocoa
- 6 oz grated semi-sweet chocolate
- You will need a glass dish that will hold all the lady fingers
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar at medium speed until thick and lemon colored
- add mascarpone and rum
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk egg whites with a pinch of salt until soft peaks form
- Gently fold egg whites into mascarpone mixture
- Optional: you can add two tbsp of the liquor in the espresso
- Arrange one layer of the ladyfingers on the bottom of a glass dish. Dip the two ends of each ladyfinger quickly in the cooled espresso before putting it in the dish.
- Sift cocoa on the top, then sprinkle grated chocolate
- Spread half the mascarpone mixture
- Repeat layer of ladyfingers, espresso, cocoa, mascarpone mixture.
- Decorate top with grated chocolate.
- Refrigerate at least 6 hours, preferably overnight.