The most basic Japanese dish you can make. From “Japanese Cooking, Simple Art”
- 3 1/3 cups dashi
- 1/2 cup of nameko mushrooms or 2 shiitake mushrooms (diced)
- 1/3 cake tofu, drained
- 4 Tbsp red miso
- one green onion, sliced very thin.
- pepper (preferably sansho)
- Soften the miso in a medium-sized bowl by adding 2 Tbsp of tepid stock and blend with a wire whisk. You do this because if you dump the miso directly into the big pot you will get clumps!
- Gradually ladle the softened miso into the dashi in a medium-sized pot, simmer over medium heat.
- DO NOT LET IT BOIL!
- When all miso has been dissolved add the tofu and the mushrooms.
- Simmer (but NOT BOIL) until the mushrooms are cooked and tofu is heated.
- Pour the soup into a small bowl and add the sliced green onions and pepper.
You can prepare soba, put it in a large bowl, and dump two servings of the soup into it!