From GlobalGourmet’s “Saffron Rice”
- 2 c. basmati rice (unsoaked)
- 1 tsp saffron threads
- 3 cups boiling water or chicken/vegetable broth
- 4 Tbsp ghee or butter
- One 2-inch piece stick cinnamon
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- Wash the rice four times, until water is almost clear. Drain the rice.
- Place the saffron in a small bowl and cover with 3 tablespoons of boiling water. Soak for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter over moderate heat in a large 3 or 4 qt. heavy bottom stockpot.
- Add the cinnamon and cloves and stir well until the cinnamon starts to unfurl and fragrance starts to come out.
- Add the onions and saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir for about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the 3 cups of boiling water, salt, and the cardamom.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add the saffron and its soaking water.
- Stir gently. Cover, reduce heat so the water just simmers, and cook for 15 minutes. Best to put a paper towel before putting on the lid to keep the steam in.
- Let sit for at least 10 min.
- Fluff and serve hot.