From Aroma Hope’s “Dill Lentil Soup”
- 1 cup red lentils
- 4 cups water
- 1 Tbsp butter, ghee, or oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala or 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp tumeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- salt to taste
- 1/8 tsp chili flakes (optional)
- one bunch of dill, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp rounds of thinly cut rounds of scallion
- Cook red lentils with 4 cups of water until soft and whisk.
- Heat butter/ghee/oil in a pan
- Fry onion until soft, then add garlic, stir for a min.
- Add in coriander seeds, cumin seeds pd, garam masala or allspice, turmeric, paprika, tomato sauce.
- Stir for 2 mins. Do not burn the spices.
- Add cooked, mashed lentils, salt, chill flakes, dill leaves finely chopped (save 2 tbsp dill for garnish) to the pot and let it boil. You can add water or veg stock to thin it if you like at this stage.
- Cover and simmer until dill is soft and cooked. Soup is ready when you see a thin film of oil or butter on top.
- Meanwhile, mix sour cream with the 2 Tbsp left over dill leaves, scallion, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Scoop a Tbsp of this dill cream in the soup when serving.