Cold Beet Soup, or “Šaltibarščiai”, courtesy of Lina. (You’re really just drinking buttermilk!) Best in the summer.
- boil 3 large beets
- cool them and then grate them. (Alternatively grate 2 cans of whole beets)
- 1/2 cup fresh green dill, finely chopped;
- 1 big seedless cucumber (English cucumber), cut into small pieces;
- 1 quart buttermilk
- 1/2 or 1 cup milk, depending on how sour you want the soup to be
- 10 green onions, finelly chopped
- salt to taste (especially if the buttermilk is already salted)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- Combine all finelly chopped/grated ingredients with buttermilk and milk
- Let it chill.
- Just before serving quarter each hardboiled egg and place on top of the soup. Serve with boiled or baked potatoes on the side