Based on Eating Well’s “Chicken Curry in Yogurt”
- 1 tablespoon ghee or canola oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz cubed chicken
- 1/4 cup chicken/vegetable stock or water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper or more to taste
- 1/4 cup golden raisins, soaked in hot water for at least 15 min
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves
- 1.5 cups plain yogurt
- 1.5 tablespoons cornstarch
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat ghee/oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and sauté onions until golden.
- Then add garlic and sauté a minute.
- Add chicken and sauté until browned.
- Add stock/water, coriander, ginger, cumin, cardamom, cayenne, raisin (with the soaking water), and apricot preserves.
- Simmer uncovered until chicken is cooked, 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. The liquid will be mostly absorbed.
- Gradually stir yogurt into cornstarch until dissolved.
- Stir mixture into the pan.
- Simmer gently, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens.
- Do not boil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Makes 4 servings