Based on Chow’s “Intense Brownies”
All ingredients must be at room temperature.
- 9 ounces bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened)
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1.5 stick), at room temperature
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1.5 cup granulated sugar
- 1.5 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1.5 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1.5 teaspoon brewed espresso
- 1 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1.5 cup all-purpose flour
- Combine chocolate and butter in a medium saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until evenly melted.
- Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- When it has cooled to room temperature, heat the oven to 350°F and arrange the rack in the middle.
- Line an 8-by-12-inch glass baking dish with aluminum foil (dull side facing you).
- Combine eggs, sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, espresso, and salt in a large bowl and briefly stir until just evenly incorporated.
- Add cooled chocolate and mix until uniform in color.
- Add flour and stir until just incorporated (no white streaks should remain).
- Transfer batter to the prepared baking dish and bake until a tester inserted in the center of the brownies comes out clean, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely before cutting.
Makes 24 brownies. Store in airtight container for up to three days.