From Chow’s “Egg Pudding”
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 3 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 medium red potatoes, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh tarragon, finely chopped (or basil if you can’t find tarragon)
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium leeks, white and pale green parts only, halved lengthwise, rinsed, and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 medium garlic clove, peeled and minced
- Coat a 2-quart baking dish with butter and set aside.
- Combine flour, 1/2 of the half-and-half, eggs, and egg yolk in a large bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Add cream and remaining half-and-half, season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and whisk to combine; set aside.
- Combine potatoes, herbs, and zest in a large bowl and toss to coat; set aside.
- Heat the oven to 375°F and arrange a rack in the middle.
- Heat butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. When it foams, add leeks and garlic, and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cook until leeks are soft, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Mix cooked leeks into potato mixture and season with additional salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Evenly spread potato mixture in the prepared baking dish and pour egg mixture over potatoes.
- Bake until custard is puffy, golden, and set, about 30 to 35 minutes.
- Let rest at least 20 minutes before serving. Can be served warm, room temperature, or cold.