From Chow’s “Chocolate Guinness Cupcakes”
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle Guinness stout
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa, plus more for garnish
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup heavy cream (halve this if adding Irish cream)
- 1 pound confectioners’ sugar
- Cocoa powder, for dusting
- Optional: 5 Tbsp or even 1/3 cup Irish cream
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cocoa, sugar, flour, and baking soda.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the Guinness, milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Mix in the sour cream.
- Butter 24 muffin tins and divide the batter among the muffin tins. (if your cupcake is only 2 oz each, you will have batter for 10 extra normal sized muffins)
- Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the wet Guinness mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the muffin tins or cupcake holders. Remember that it will rise so leave some room unless you really want it to overflow. LEAVE IT ONLY 3/4 WAY!
- Bake 20 for a 24-muffin tin or 25 minutes in cupcake holders, until risen and set in the middle but still soft and tender.
- Cool before turning out of the tins.
- Beat the cream cheese in a bowl until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the heavy cream.
- Slowly mix in the confectioners’ sugar.
- Top each cupcake with a heap of frosting and dust with cocoa