Based on Bittman’s recipe of the same name
- 2 large starchy or all-purpose potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into quarters
- Sea or Kosher salt
- 1/2 pound dandelion or other greens, washed and trimmed of thick stems
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs, preferably homemade
- Put potatoes in a large, deep pot and cover them with cold water.
- Add a large pinch of salt and bring to a boil.
- Cook until soft but not falling apart, 15 to 30 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain;
- meanwhile, add greens to the same water and cook for about 1 minute.
- Rinse under cold water. Drain well, then finely chop.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Rinse potatoes, run them through a food mill, or mash them with a fork or potato masher, adding enough olive oil to moisten them well.
- Mash in the greens, adding more olive oil as needed.
- Sprinkle with salt and lots of pepper.
- Put mixture in an ovenproof dish and top with bread crumbs.
- Drizzle with more olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and bake until bread crumbs are golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Serve hot or warm.