Based on Chow’s recipe of the same name
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ cup granulated sugar, plus 2 teaspoons for sprinkling
- 8 Tbsp unsalted butter (1 stick), melted
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- Heat the oven to 400°F and arrange a rack in the middle.
- Place cupcake liners in a 12-well muffin pan; alternatively, butter the muffin wells. Set the pan aside.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl to break up lumps and aerate the mixture; set aside.
- Whisk together 3/4 cup of the sugar, butter, cream, eggs, and vanilla extract in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Add sugar mixture and blueberries to flour mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until just evenly mixed (a few lumps will remain), about 30 strokes. (Do not overmix; the batter should be thick, but the ingredients should be evenly incorporated.)
- Fill the muffin wells completely, and then evenly sprinkle the remaining 2 teaspoons sugar over top.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Let the muffins cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and serve.
- Salt is reduced from original recipe because of comments made about too much kosher salt