Based on Casas’ “¡Delicioso!”
- 2 Tbsp plus ½ tsp cornstarch
- 2 ⅔ cups plus 2 Tbsp milk
- 6 egg yolks
- ½ cup plus 6 Tbsp sugar (1 for each serving)
- peel of ½ lemon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Dissolve cornstarch in 2 Tbsp of milk, then mix in the egg yolks, reserve
- Boil the remainder 2 ⅔ cups milk with cinnamon and lemon peel in it, simmer for 15 min
- Gradually stir the hot milk mixture into the cornstarch mixture
- Return to the saucepan and cook over a medium flame, stirring constantly, until the custard starts to bubble
- Discard lemon peel and cinnamon stick, divide mixture into 6 shallow dessert bowls.
- Cool without stirring.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle 1 Tbsp of sugar on each custard to be served, then caramelize it using a kitchen torch (or small butane torch from hardware store, cheaper). If you serve it too long after this step, the caramel will soften.