From Yum’s Chicken Do Piaza
It’s helpful to have a food processor for this.
- ¾ lb Boned chicken thighs cut into 2 inch cubes
- ½ Tbsp Lemon juice
- ½ tsp Salt or to taste
- ½ onion, roughly chopped
- 1 long, slim dried red chillies, roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp Sunflower, corn or vegetable oil
- 1 red onions, finely sliced
- 1 Tbsp Ginger paste
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ Tbsp Ground coriander
- 1 tsp Ground cumin
- ½ tsp Ground turmeric
- 4 whole, canned tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp Tomato puree from the tomato can
- 1 cinnamon or cassia stick
- 1 Black cardamom pods, split the top of each pod
- 2 whl cloves
- 4 fl oz warm water
- ½ Tbsp Chopped fresh mint leaves or ½ tsp dried mint
- 2 whole fresh green chillies (optional)
- 2 Tbsp Chopped cilantro leaves
- Put the chicken in a mixing bowl and add the lemon juice and salt. Mix thoroughly, cover the bowl and set aside for 15-20 minutes.
- Put the ginger, garlic, onion and red chillies with 1-2 Tbsp of water in a blender or food processor and make a puree.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat and fry the red onions until they soften (5-6 minutes). Stir frequently to ensure even cooking.
- Add the pureed ingredients and fry for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the coriander, cumin and turmeric, stir and fry for 30 seconds
- Add the tomatoes and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes
- Add the chicken. Increase to high and stir-fry the chicken for 4-5 minutes, or until it loses its pink color.
- Add the tomato puree, cassia or cinnamon, cardamom and cloves. Stir-fry for 30 seconds
- Add the water and bring to the boil, reduce heat to low and cover the pan.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Remove the lid and increase heat to medium.
- Add the mint, fresh chillies and coriander leaves.
- Stir-fry for 1-2 minutes, remove from the heat and serve.