The broth is based on Rasa Malaysia’s asari soup
- ½ pound Manila Clams
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/3 tsp dashi
- 2 tablespoons red miso paste
- ½ block regular tofu (cut into small cubes)
- 1 oz Asian noodles, broken into 1/2-in pieces
- 3 large fresh shiitake mushrooms (dry OK too, but must be soaked overnight, and use the soaking water for the “4 cup” water above), sliced into 1/4 in widths
- 1 cup any Chinese (Asian) greens, just not spinach
- optional, for more protein, a hard boiled egg, cut into halves
- Some chopped scallion
- Mix dashi in water and bring the mixture to boil.
- In a separate bowl, combine miso paste and some of the dashi water until the miso mixture is fairly liquidy (this is to facilitate dissolution later)
- Add tofu and noodles, let it simmer for 5 min
- Add mushrooms, simmer for 2 min
- Add clams, simmer until they open, about 2 min
- Add the Miso mixture from step 2 . Make sure the soup doesn’t come to a roiling boil. Add vegetables and the optional boiled egg halves. Let this simmer for a minute.
- Top with scallions and turn off the heat. Serve immediately.
Serves 1 as a big bowl.
- Dead clams either already are open before cooking or don’t open after cooking.
- Keep clams alive in a bowl covered lightly with a damp paper towl, keep it in the fridge.