Based on Chow’s Crisp Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), at room temperature
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (about 12 ounces, a bag)
- Heat the oven to 375°F and arrange a rack in the middle.
- Combine flour and salt in a small mixing bowl and whisk to break up any lumps. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine butter and brown sugar and beat on medium speed until fluffy and light, about 3 minutes.
- Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl, add the egg, and mix until just incorporated
- Mix in vanilla extract.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the flour mixture.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer stand and stir in the chocolate chips.
- Drop the cookie dough by rounded tablespoons, and NOT BIGGER, about 3 inches apart, onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake until the bottoms of the cookies are golden brown, about 10 to 12 minutes. (Turn the baking sheets halfway through if the oven does not heat evenly.)
- Remove the cookies from the oven and let cool completely on the baking sheets (this will make them easier to remove), about 10 minutes.