- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from 2 or 3 lemons)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1.5 oz. (3 Tbs.) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- Set a fine strainer over a medium bowl.
- In another medium bowl, whisk the lemon juice, sugar, and eggs until thoroughly combined and most of the sugar has dissolved.
- Pour the lemon mixture into a small, nonreactive saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon or heatproof spatula, until the curd is steaming (but not boiling) and thickened and registers about 175°F on an instant-read thermometer, 3 to 7 minutes.
- Take the curd off the heat, add the butter, and stir until the butter has melted.
- Pour the curd through the strainer to get rid of any lumps.
- Set aside but use to top the cheesecake while still warm.