From a simple broccoli quiche on Chow.com
- 1 9-inch frozen pie-crust
- 2 cups frozen broccoli florets and tender stems (about 6 ounces), large dice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups portobello mushroom (from about 1 [4-ounce] mushroom), large dice
- 1/2 medium red onion, minced
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half (or 1/2 cup heavy cream and 1/2 cup whole milk)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup (about 4 ounces) shredded any strong cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Bring a medium saucepan of heavily salted water to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, add broccoli and cook until fork tender, about 2 minutes.
- Drain and let cool in a single layer on a large plate.
- Heat olive oil in a medium frying pan over medium-high heat.
- When it shimmers, add mushroom and onion and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cook until vegetables are soft and mushroom edges are golden, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Whisk together eggs, half-and-half, salt, and pepper in a large bowl until incorporated and smooth. Stir in broccoli, mushroom mixture, and cheese.
- Pour custard into pie shell and bake until puffed and golden brown, about 45 minutes.
- Let cool at least 20 minutes before slicing.
You can substitute the broccoli and mushrooms with any vegetables or ham. Just make sure it’s cooked before baking. And not too watery.