Based on “The All American Dessert Book”
- Position rack in the middle of the oven, preheat to 350 F.
- Set out a 10×4 1/4 inch tube pan, do not grease
- 1 1/2 cups unsifted cake flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar (divided into 2/3 cup and 1/3 cup)
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup corn oil or other flavorless veggie oil
- 1 Tbsp finely grated orange zest
- 2 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp lemon extract
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Flour mixture: sift together the flour, 2/3 cup of sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt onto a sheet of baking parchment or wax paper
- separate eggs
- Place whites in a large bowl and 5 egg yolks in a very large bowl (use the remaining egg yolk for something else in the future)
- Yolk mixture: using a whisk, whisk together the egg yolks, oil, orange zest, lemon zest, orange juice, vanilla, and lemon extract until blended.
- Gradually whisk the flour mixture into the yolk mixture until smoothly incorporated
- Add the lemon juice to the egg whites
- Using a mixer with whisk-shaped beater, beat on low speed, then medium, for 1.5-2 minutes or until the whites just begin to form soft peaks
- Add the remaining 1/3 cup granulated sugar a Tbsp at a time, beating for 15 seconds after each addition
- Raise the speed to high and continue eating for 1-3 minutes, or until the whites just begin to hold firm peaks but are still moist. Don’t overbeat!
- Gently whisk about 1/3 of the whites into the yolk mixture.
- Whisk in the remaining white just until no white streaks remain. Don’t overmix!
- Immediately turn out the batter into the ungreased tube pan, spreading it evenly to the edges.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the cake is nicely browned on top and a toothpick inserted in the thickest part comes out clean. Don’t overbake!
- Invert the cake, cool on a wire rack o
- Let cool completely, at least 1 hour.
- Run a table knife around the tube and the sides of the pan to loosen the cake
- Carefully lift the base from the pan, using the tube
- Loosen the cake from the base with the knife and invert it onto a serving plate
- In a heavy, non-reactive 2-quart sauce pan, combin the powdered sugar, orange juice, and lemon juice. Bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Let boil, stirring occasionally, for 4 min
- Remove from heat, stir in the butter and vanilla
- Let the glaze stand until cooled and just slightly thickened, about 10 min
- Slowly pour the glaze over the cake top, then spread it out so it drips down the sides