Based on Parisa’s recipe plus one on Joy of Baking
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cold and cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped crystallized ginger (in small pieces)
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- Juice of that lemon
- 1/8 tsp lemon extract
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Optional: brown sugar for dusting.
Egg mixture for brushing tops of scones
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- In a food processor, pulse three four times the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the cut butter and lemon zest and leave the processor on for 60 seconds. The mixture should look like coarse crumbs.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Stir in the chopped crystallized ginger.
- In a small bowl, mix the milk, lemon juice, and lemon extract.
- Pour the mixture into the middle of the flour mixture and stir just until the dough comes together. Do not overdo!
- Shape the (very wet) dough into a ball and place on a prepared cookie sheet
- Flatten to a circle about 1/2 inches thick
- Cut into wedges
- Brush the top with the egg-milk mixture
- Sprinkle with brown sugar, if desired
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until center comes out clean.
- Cook on a cooling rack.