- 5 1/2 lb of duck
- Oranges or what else you want to flavor the duck
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Wash the duck skin inside out.
- Remove excess far from the body cavity openings.
- Separate the skin from flesh by working fingers under the skin. This will help the fat to drain away more easily making for a the crispy skin.
- Also, if you want to season the duck put a dry rub or herbs or even orange slices under the skin to permeate the flesh of the duck.
- Prick all over both side with a fork.
- Put duck breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Boil water. Pour the boiled water over the skin of the duck to tighten, this may take a few pours.
Cool the duck. Pat to dry.
- Dry rub the surface of the skin and inside the cavity with sea salt and cracked black pepper.
- Put orange in the cavity of the duck.
- Cut the surface of the skin in a diamond/cross hatched patter. This will help release the fat when cooking to make the skin crispier.
- Roast on rack for 45 minutes breast side up. Turn duck over draining liquid from cavity, roast for another 45 minutes. Then turn duck one last time, back to breast side up and and roast until skin is crispy. About another 45 minutes. (total between 2 1/4 and 2 1/2 hours for 5-6lb duck)
- Be sure to baste each time you turn the duck over.
Let stand for about 15 minutes on a cutting board before carving.
Serves 5-6 people