Based on NY Times recipe of the same name.
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted, plus butter for greasing pan
- 1 cup natural raw almonds (not blanched)
- 1/4 cup sugar, plus 2 tablespoons for sprinkling
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 12 to 14 ripe figs
- Butter a 9-inch fluted tart pan or pie pan; set aside.
- Put almonds and 1/4 cup sugar in a food processor and grind to a coarse powder.
- Add flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; pulse to combine.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, melted butter, honey and almond extract.
- Add almond mixture and beat for a minute until batter is just mixed. Pour batter into pan.
- Remove stem from each fig and cut in half.
- Arrange fig halves cut-side up over the batter.
- Sprinkle figs with sugar and bake for 30 minutes, until golden outside and dry at center when probed with a cake tester.
- Cool before serving.