These are specialties from Basle. From Betty Bossi bakery le nouveau livre des friandises.
- 150g sugar
- pinch of salt
- 250g ground almonds
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder (should not contain dairy; read the label)
- 2 Tbsp flour (substitute with any flour substitute)
- 2 fresh egg white, lightly beaten (so no foams)
- 100g of bittersweet chocolate (around 70% cocoa), broken into rough pieces
- 2 tsp kirsch
- Mix all the dry ingredients together
- Fold the egg white into the dry mix
- In a double boiler (or just a thin pot over steam), pour in the kirsch and the chopped up chocolate. Let them melt and stir.
- Mix the melted chocolate with the mixture above until uniform.
- Roll the dough out onto a clean work surface. To minimize mess, you can put a cut open ziplock bag on top of the dough and roll your rolling pin on the bag. The width of the dough should be uniform at 1 cm (just under 1/2″). If even with this method things get messy, sprinkle granulated sugar on the surface of the dough when needed to make it less sticky.
- Set oven to 250C (485 F).
- Bake in the middle rack for 4-6 min, depending on how chewy you want this to be.