From Betty Bossi bakery le nouveau livre des friandises.
- 350g ground blanched almonds (unblanched is fine too)
- 200g sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2-3 lemons, untreated with chemicals (i.e. organic)
- 1 1/2 fresh egg white (50g)
- line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- mix all dry ingredients
- zest the lemons and lightly beat into the egg white (so no foaming)
- make a hole in the middle of the dry mix and add the wet mix. Mix them until you have a uniformly wet dough.
- put the dough on a clean surface, put clean plastic on top (such as a 1-gallon ziplock bag cut on its sides). The idea is that you are going to roll this thing to a 7-mm uniformly thick sheet with a rolling pin, and you don’t want the dough to stick to the rolling pin. (7mm is between 1/4″ and 1/3″).
- After rolling it out to the sheet use a cookie cutter to cut a circle into the dough, then cut another just off-center from the first one, so now, you have a crescent moon!
- Use a knife or anything sharp (so no spatula) to scoop up the moons onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- let the sheet of cookies dry for at least 5 hours, or overnight.
- heat oven to 160 C (320 F)
- bake 8-10 min in the oven, depending on how crisp you want the edges to be.
- once out of the oven, brush with lemon glaze.