This is a no soak method. Straight from the back of a steel-cut oatmeal can.
- 1 tsp each of three of any of the usual ground baking spices like cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, cardamom, etc.
- 1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup steel-cut oatmeal
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup 1% milk
- Prepare aluminum foil around the burner you will use.
- Have the correct lid ready.
- Add butter to black pan on moderate heat
- When butter starts foaming, add the three spices of your choice; swirl around to have a good mix
- Turn heat to high and immediately add the oatmeal, mix well.
- While oatmeal is toasting for about 15 seconds, measure the milk and carefully pour into the pot because it will splatter (it won’t kill you if it gets onto your hands).
- Then pour in the water too.
- Leave the fire on high and watch that the liquid slowly starts to boil. The center needs to start bubbling to count.
- When the center starts to bubble, put on the lid and immediately turn down to #2. If the bubbling suddenly stops, you did this too soon. Go back to step 8.
- Once you feel comfortable with it at #2, meaning, it is simmering, not dead, but not growing out of control, you set the timer to 35 min.
- In about 5 min the bubbles will thicken and may spill out of the lid. This is when you have to bring the fire down to about half way between #2 and low. Again, the goal is for it to be simmering, neither spilling over nor dead.
Turn off the fire and remove the pot to a cooling surface when time is up.