Based on the book Classic Recipes from Himachal Pradesh
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 3 lb meat some with bones, pat dry
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1.5 Tbsp tumeric
- 1/4 tsp asafetida (very stinky)
- 3 Tbsp chickpea flour
- 1 qt yogurt
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1.2 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- chopped roots/potatoes
- Heat oil until hot, then add the butter
- When butter starts to bubble, add meat to brown. Set aside using slotted spoon in a metal bowl with paper towel.
- While waiting for meat to brown, whisk the following together in a separate bowl:
- the yogurt
- chickpea flour.
- red chili pepper
- When last batch of meat is set aside, using a spoon remove all but about 3 Tbsp oil left in the pot. Bring fire to medium.
- Now it’s a good time to turn oven on at 350F (175C).
- Add onions, garlic, cumin seeds, and asafetida to the pot. Mix well.
- When onions are softened add mustard powder.
- Add the meat back in. Stir. Then add the yogurt mixture in. Turn heat high until the mixture starts to boil. Stir.
- Place in oven for 1 h.
- Add roots/potatoes and return to oven for 30 min.
Serve with plain rice.