Based on Jaime Oliver’s blog.
- 3-4 lb free range chicken
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 good handful fresh sage, leaves picked
- zest of 2 lemons
- 10 cloves garlic, skin left on
- 2 ⅓ cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/gas 5, and find a snug-fitting pot for the chicken.
- Season it generously all over, and fry it in a little olive oil, turning the chicken to get an even color all over, until golden. (You can use your hands or try with the handle of a wooden ladle)
- Remove from the heat, put the chicken on a plate, and throw away the oil left in the pot. (Make sure the oil drip along the pot is wiped off else you would catch fire!)
- This will leave you with tasty sticky goodness at the bottom of the pan which will give you a lovely caramel flavor later on.
Put your chicken back in the pot with the rest of the ingredients, and cook in the preheated oven for 1½ hours. Try not to let anything go inside the chicken cavity as that is not going to get cooked much.
- Baste with the cooking juice when you remember. The lemon zest will sort of split the milk, making a sauce which is absolutely fantastic.