Based on a few recipes from Mark Bittman and others online. Still the same idea: brown the meats, add it to some aromatics already cooked in a dutch oven, cook in oven, then add roots.
- 4 lb lamb shoulder, have butcher cut into chunks, room temperature
- 1 lb goat chunks, room temperature
- 1 medium fennel bulb
- 3 garlics, smashed
- 1 thumb size length of ginger, grated into a bowl
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 unprocessed cinnamon barks
- 2 tsp asafetida
- 2 tsp tumeric
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup stock
- 1 can chick peas, drained of its liquids and drained twice with clean water, can be done inside the can
- 1 lb potatoes (approximately) chopped into 1-in cubes, sort of like the meat chunks
- 1 large carrot
- 1 cauliflower, chopped also into chunk sizes
- 1 sweet potato, also chopped into that size
- 1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped after rinsing it very well of sand
- Heat oven to 500 F. Chop the fennel into chunk sizes in the mean time. This doesn’t go with the roots. It’s an aromatic.
- Pad dry the meats and put them on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet that will fit all the meat and still have space between them. Put in the pre-heated oven for 20 min. Chop the veggies if you haven’t finished.
- In the meantime, heat oil in a dutch oven over medium high heat. Add cumin, mustard seeds, coriander seeds, and cinnamon barks.
- When seeds begin to jump, add the garlic and ginger. Stir immediately.
- Add the fennel chunks and stir until a bit soft. If the meat in the oven is still not ready, just turn the fire to low.
- When meat is ready, turn the oven down to 325 F.
- Turn the fire for the dutch oven back to medium high. Using a tong, move the meat into the dutch oven.
- Stir in tumeric and asafetida.
- Stir in bay leaf, the red wine, and the stock. Bring to a boil.
- Place dutch oven in the oven and cook for 1 hour. Throughout the process the lid is on.
- Take it out over a medium high fire. Add the chickpeas, carrot, and white potatoes. Stir. Bring to a boil. Place in the oven for 20 min.
- Bring the thing back out, add the sweet potato and cauliflower. Put it back for 15 min.
- Turn off oven, take the pot out, stir in the cilantro, close lid.