Based on my experience.
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- a bunch of aromatic herbs
- 1 lb ground meat
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 large can of whole tomatoes, drain the juice into a jar and put away
- 2 medium carrots, roughly chopped
- half bunch of parsley, just leaves, washed
- 1 large tbsp tomato paste
- Some wine (1/4 cup, more or less)
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced thin
- Half a bag of frozen spinach/greens
- Grind up the the can of tomato sauce with the carrots and rinsed parsley leaves
- Add all the aromatics into medium hot olive oil (should not be very hot!). This does not include bay leaf.
- Then add your meat and keep breaking lumps up.
- Once it seems the meat is cooked (no more raw pink) add the carrot-tomato-parsley sauce, stir.
- Rinse the remaining tomato juice in the food processor bowl from the can using some red wine
- Stir in the mushrooms, the bay leaf, and the tomato paste
- Stir and bring to a boil. Cover and set the heat to just enough to keep the simmer. Simmer for 30 min.
- Add spinach/greens, stir while bringing to a boil, lower to a simmer, cover for 3-5 minutes. Turn off the fire and leave the cover on.