Based on a few recipes, mainly this one.
- 2.5 lb spoon roast
- 3 tsp salt
- Any rub you want, like curry stuff mixed with olive oil
- Roots tossed with olive oil and salt (don’t put salt when they are on the cookie sheet)
- Rub the roast with the salt overnight.
- Heat oven to 430 F.
- While waiting, rub the roast with the wet rub; or do this earlier to let the flavor seep in.
- Place roast in an open dutch oven and place in the preheated oven for 15 min.
- Lower the heat to 225 F (very low!) and take the dutch oven out.
- Add just enough potatoes to the sides of the roast so you don’t cover the roast
- Put lid on the oven and put it back in the oven; duration is for each pound do one hours.
- Check that the internal temperature is at least 140 F
- Take it out to rest, lid remaining on, for at least 20 minutes.
- In the meantime raise oven temperature to 450 F
- Spread the rest of the roots on a cookie sheet and roast in the preheated oven for 20 min.