- 6 chicken legs
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 celery rib
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- about 7 branches of oregano
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 can of whole tomatoes
- Half jar of olives
- 2 carrots, cut into 1-in cylinders
- 4 potatoes, scrubbed clean, cut into size of the carrots
- 1-2 boxes of mushrooms, cut into half-inch pieces (if needed)
- On medium heat, add just enough oil to coat the bottom of the dutch oven
- Add chicken legs, non-skin side down, do not crowd too much. Do this in batches. Each batch about 5 min to brown the meat. Set each batch aside in a metal bowl (can be the one for raw meat)
- Add the aromatics (that’s everything up to the tomatoes), turn down heat to medium. Stir until onions look translucent.
- Add back all the chicken legs and stir.
- Add the can of whole tomatoes with juice, carrots, and potatoes, stir
- Bring the stew to a boil (it boils because of the tomato juice)
- Cover, turn down the heat to medium low, just enough for you to hear the simmer. Should be done in 30 min. Check in 15 min to see if there’s still liquid (simmering).