- 1 cup (120 g) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 cup (224 g) buttermilk or yogurt
- 1 cup (240 g) sourdough starter, unfed
WAFFLE OR PANCAKE BATTER
- all of the overnight sponge
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup (56 g) vegetable oil or melted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup of milk if buttermilk wasn’t used in the sponge
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- To make the overnight sponge, stir down your refrigerated starter, and remove 1 cup.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the 1 cup starter, flour, sugar, and buttermilk/water.
- Cover and let rest at room temperature overnight.
- In a small bowl or mixing cup, beat together the eggs, and oil or butter.
- Add to the overnight sponge.
- Add the salt and baking soda, stirring to combine. The batter will bubble.
- Pour batter onto your preheated, greased waffle iron, and bake according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Serve waffles immediately, to ensure crispness. Or hold in a warm oven till ready to serve.
Yield: 1 dozen 8″ waffles or about 2 dozen medium pancakes.