Based on Martha Stewart’s recipe.
- Herbs like thyme, oregano, and/or rosemary
- 2-lb beef cut into 0.5-1 inch cubes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic
- eight hard roots, chopped into 1-inch cubes (no smaller)
- 1/2 lb mushrooms, chopped into sizes similar to the veggies/meat
- Stock or water
- 2 cups barley soaked in boiling water
- * half a bag of chopped veggies
- * instead of veggies, if you’re using beets, wash the beet greens well, remove all bruised parts, and chop it up roughly (cross section) into ribbons. Cooking instructions are different.
- In a 6-quart soup pot, heat 2 teaspoons of the oil over medium-high heat. Add the meat and herbs, and brown evenly, about 5 minutes. You will likely get a lot of juice coming out.
- Turn heat to medium, and add the onion and cook until the onion is soft and translucent, about 10 minutes (do not walk away!)
- Add the roots and garlic and sweat 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add enough stock to just cover the ingredients (not more).
- If using beet greens, add them now.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stir occasionally as the barley might stick to the bottom, until the barley is cooked and the meat is tender, about 60 minutes.
- If using chopped veggie, add chopped veggies and bring to a boil and simmer for 5 min and turn off heat