Based on King Arthur’s recipe.
- 340g lukewarm milk
- 6 Tbsp (85g) butter, melted
- 39 to 57g maple syrup, optional
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 241g Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl, leaving room for expansion; the mixture will bubble and grow.
- Stir to combine; it’s OK if the mixture isn’t perfectly smooth.
- Cover with plastic wrap, and let rest at room temperature for 1 hour; the mixture will begin to bubble.
- You can cook the waffles at this point, or refrigerate the batter overnight to cook waffles the next day.
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- Brush it with butter, and pour 2/3 to 3/4 cup batter (or the amount recommended by the manufacturer) onto the center of the iron.
- Close the lid and bake for the recommended amount of time, until the waffle is golden brown, about 2-3 min each side.
- Serve immediately, or keep warm in a 200°F oven. Serve with berries and whipped cream, if desired.
Yield: about 4 Belgian-style (deep-pocket) 7″ round waffles.