Based on Davis Tannis’ recipe
- 1 dozen large organic eggs
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup sour cream or creme fraîche
- Generous pinch cayenne
- 1 tablespoon snipped chives
- 1/2 pound crabmeat or lobster, picked over for shells and cartilage
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil.
- Carefully put the eggs into the water and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove the eggs to a bowl of ice water, and when they’re cool enough, crack them gently and return to the ice water, so they’ll be easier to peel.
– Peel the eggs.
- Cut them in half, scoop out the yolks, and put them in a bowl (reserve the egg white halves).
- Mash the egg yolks with a fork, and fold in the mustard, sour cream or creme fraîche, cayenne, and half the chives.
- Gently fold in the crabmeat and lemon juice, and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning, and spoon the mixture into the waiting egg white halves.