Based on vegan recipe.
- 3 cups (415 g) raw or roasted unsalted hazelnuts
- 2/3 cup (96 g / 3.4 ounces) dairy free dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- optional maple syrup (or honey if you don’t need it to be vegan)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and add hazelnuts to a baking sheet in a single layer.
- If raw, roast for a total of 12-15 minutes. If already roasted, roast for 8-10 minutes just to warm the natural oils and loosen the skins. This will make it easier to blend into butter.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Then transfer to a large kitchen towel and use your hands to roll the nuts around and remove most of the skins. You want to get as much as possible off because it yields a creamier Nutella. But it doesn’t have to be perfect!
- Leaving excess skin behind, add hazelnuts to a food processor or high speed blender. Blend on low until a butter is formed – about 8-10 minutes total – scraping down sides as needed.
- In the meantime, heat the chocolate over a double boiler or in the microwave in 30 second increments. Set aside.
- Once the hazelnut butter is creamy and smooth, add the melted chocolate, sea salt and vanilla. Blend/puree again until well incorporated. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more salt or vanilla if desired.
- If your Nutella isn’t sweet enough, add 1-2 Tbsp maple syrup or agave. NOTE: Just know the more liquid sweetener you add the firmer/stiffer the Nutella will get, so add sparingly.
- Transfer to a clean jar and store at room temperature for everyday use for 2-3 weeks or more.