Based on the Skinny Chick
- 2 cups heavy cream (pasteurized, not ultra-pasteurized)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Pour cream into a large sauce pan and heat to a simmer (you don’t want it to boil).
- Stir in lemon juice.
- With a candy thermometer, monitor the temperature and keep around 190º.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently with a rubber spatula, till mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Pour through a strainer lined with a double layer of cheesecloth and positioned over a bowl.
- Flip cheesecloth over top of strainer and refrigerate for 8 hours.
- Scrape cheese from cheesecloth into a storage container and press plastic wrap over the surface.
Store for up to a week.