Based on recipe on the NY Times
- 1.5 apple, grated (200 grams grated apple)
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp lime or lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp lemon or lime zest
- 1 2/3 cups / 215 grams whole wheat flour
- 1 cup / 120 grams unbleached all-purpose flour (or use all whole wheat flour)
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp / 16 grams baking powder
- 2/3 teaspoon / 3 grams baking soda
- 2/3 cup / 80 grams whole pecans
- 1/3 teaspoon / 3 grams salt
- 2 Tbsp + 2 tsp /40 grams raw brown sugar
- 1 stick of unsalted butter (8 Tbsp / 114 grams)
- Up to 1/3 cup / 80 grams buttermilk or yogurt
- 2/3 cup / 75 grams rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Toss grated apple with lemon or lime juice and zest in a bowl.
- Sift together flours, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Place in a food processor and add sugar, salt, the frozen butter and whole pecans. Pulse until butter is pea size (not smaller) and pecans are chopped.
- Place in a large bowl or in the bowl of standing mixer fitted with the paddle.
- Stir in oats.
- Add apple with liquid to the large bowl and stir at medium speed until incorporated.
- Add just enough yogurt or buttermilk to allow dough to come together.
- Scrape out onto a lightly floured surface and gently shape into a rectangle, about 3/4 inch thick; helpful to have bread scraper.
- Cut into 6 squares, then cut squares in half on the diagonal to form 12 triangular pieces. Or use a biscuit cutter to cut rounds.
- Place on baking sheet. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool on a rack.