Based on Bittman’s “Tortillitas with Shrimp”
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 cup white flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped onion or scallions
- About 1/2 cup raw shrimp, chopped, or scallops or other shellfish or fish
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped chives, parsley, thyme or cilantro
- Olive oil.
- In a bowl, combine flours and baking powder with salt and pepper.
- Add a little more than a cup of water and stir to combine; consistency should be watery, not very thick.
- Stir in the onions, chopped seafood and herbs.
- Optionally, you can leave it in the fridge for 30 min.
- Put a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and film its bottom generously with olive oil.
- When oil is hot, pour in half the batter until it fills center of pan; spread gently with a spoon to form a large pancake.
- Cook about 3 minutes, or until pancake is set around edges; flip pancake and continue cooking for another 3 minutes, then flip it again and cook for another 30 seconds or so, until it is crisp on outside but still moist inside.
- Remove from pan and serve immediately, while remaining batter cooks.
Serves 4 or more